Boiled plantain with boiled beans and stew. Boiled in this case may be misleading. I learned (Thanks mum) to microwave a plantain and achieve the same result as boiling, so these days I go the microwave route for easier cleaning.
• Wash a plantain and chop into four to six pieces without removing the skin.
• Either put in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil or place in microwaveable plate with just a tablespoon of water, cover and microwave for two minutes.
• The yellow plantain flesh should become a shade darker and softer when done.
• Either sieve water or just take cover off microwave plate and let cool.
• Remove skin, salt and enjoy
• Great with beans, rice, egg, stew or on its own.
No such luck with the beans which have to be boiled for ages. I mean you could cut down the time with a pressure cooker but I for some reason, am intimidated by pressure cookers. Who else has this problem?